Monday, March 10, 2014

Here it goes

Hi all, it's me. Starting a new blog, but still keeping up my old one. This is just a very specific blog for very specific reasons. Given the poor outlook for the return of my sense of smell, I felt it was time to start documenting this experience. I'm not doing this for pity or sympathy or any kind of "woe is me" or anything like that, so I hope nothing on here will ever appear that way. My intention is merely to share what I am going through, as it really is interesting and a huge learning experience. Hopefully you will get something out of it and hopefully, in reflection, so will I.
Let's start with the background.
January 13th I sustained a concussion at work. No one knows why or how, as no one saw it, and I have about 12 hours of memory loss surrounding the event. The symptoms of a concussion vary from person to person, and how the injury was sustained, which is probably why it took me so long to notice that something was wrong. I had spotty memory, raging headaches, dizziness, and fatigue, so those were what I focused on. Eventually, those started to subside and I was able to go back to work and school, albeit slowly. Around four days after the incident, I noticed that things tasted funny. It was like having a cold, only I could breathe just fine. Maybe another day or two after that, I realized that it wasn't just that things tasted funny, it was that they didn't taste like anything. And I couldn't smell anything. At all. To test my theory, I went around and smelled every candle in my house--there happens to be quite a few of them. Turns out I was right, I couldn't smell anything. 
I'd never heard of smell being affected by a concussion, but no one knows everything that can possibly happen with those, so I just chalked it up as being simply odd. When it had been 10 days and nothing had changed there, I became concerned. I spoke to a doctor I worked with, and that was when I knew it was a problem. He hesitated for a long moment, then said, "When you hit 2 weeks, if nothing has changed, you should go get checked out." 
So I did. 
The Student Health doctor sent me to a neurologist, who miraculously could see me the next day. That doesn't happen. He ordered x-rays, a CT scan, and an MRI. When the CT showed something suspicious, he ordered an EEG and put me on some medication just to be safe, as we didn't know why I got the concussion. After all those tests were done, the good news was that my brain and it's function were just fine. A little bruised, which happens with concussions, but there should be no lasting effects there. That was awesome to hear. I've rather gotten used to my brain, and I'm quite fond of it. 
The bad news: they strongly suspected that I damaged my olfactory nerves when I hit my head, from the angle and force of the hit. They didn't know how bad or how long the symptoms would last, but they were not particularly encouraged.
My one month follow up CT showed that my brain was back to it's normal working self (applause) and it all looked good. But since nothing had changed with smell or taste, it is likely permanent.
So what does all of this mean? 
It means that I have to stop my kicking and screaming and whining like a child and get used to my "new normal". I've done some research and reading, and sometimes people have smell come back, either partially or completely. Sometimes it doesn't. But regardless of what happens to me, there are lessons to be learned and a life to live, even if it is a bit weirder.
That is the best way I can describe this. Weird. I guess I took my sense of smell for granted, since sight and hearing and touch seem to be our favorite senses. I thank God daily that those were not taken from me. My taste is there, but taste is so tied to smell that it's having a hard time on it's own. Don't believe me? Think back to when you had a cold and you tried to eat. Tastes weird, right? Dull, bland, and not very tasty unless it was really strong flavors. Or plug your nose while you are eating something. See what happens.
Weird, I tell you. Just plain weird.
As I go on with this blog, I'll share some more insights and stories about my experiences and what this is like. I'll answer any questions as best as I can, with the limited knowledge that I have. I am determined to embrace this life, though it might be a struggle. Fact is, I am exactly the same as I was before. I was blessed with a fully functioning mind, a healthy body, appreciation for the beautiful things in life, and I even still like chocolate, which was a major relief for everyone that knows me. I am blessed. So I might not know if I have bad breath, or when a diaper needs to be changed, or if that perfume makes you smell like a nursing home pageant winner. It's okay. I've just gone from living an high-def life to standard definition, except all I've ever known is HD. Nothing is wrong with SD, it's just not as exciting.
I'm going to end each blog with what my coaches call "High-Low-High." Good, bad, good. That way I can be honest, but I will also know that I am still blessed.
High: I enjoy a wider variety of foods now because everything tastes the same so I can eat pretty much anything.
Low: I miss smelling my shampoo and soap in the shower.
High: The beauty of God's creations is not diminished just because they have no scent.
Til next time, take time to stop and smell the roses! No, really, smell them. Let me know how it goes.

2 comments:

  1. Holy cow! I had no idea! That is crazy. I think documenting this is definitely important. I'm glad to hear that everything else is fine, though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm also glad to know that you brain is back to normal. Where were you when you hit your head? Were you at home or at work?
    Girl, This was a great write up. I especially like the line of being a nursing home pageant winner. That conjurs up all kinds of images and smells :) Take care! Stay positive. Guess I really don't need to tell you that since you already are.

    ReplyDelete